Life Event FAQ’s

There are two times during the year in which employees are eligible to make insurance benefits changes. One occurs during open enrollment towards the end of the calendar year, the other occurs when an employee has a life event.

Often, People Services is asked what qualifies as a life event and what is needed to complete the life events portal in UltiPro to make changes to benefits. Below, I have listed some frequently asked questions regarding life events.

Life Event 5.23.19

What qualifies as a life event? 

Loss of health coverage 

  • Losing existing health coverage, including job-based, individual, and student plans
  • Losing eligibility for Medicare, Medicaid, or CHIP
  • Turning 26 and losing coverage through a parent’s plan

Changes in household

  • Getting married or divorced
  • Having a baby or adopting a child
  • Death in the family

Changes in residence

  • Moving to a different ZIP code or county
  • A student moving to or from the place they attend school
  • A seasonal worker moving to or from the place they both live and work
  • Moving to or from a shelter or other transitional housing

Other qualifying events

  • Changes in your income that affect the coverage you qualify for
  • Gaining membership in a federally recognized tribe or status as an Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) Corporation shareholder
  • Becoming a U.S. citizen
  • Leaving incarceration (jail or prison)
  • AmeriCorps members starting or ending their service

What information must I provide to People Services? Information must be provided within 30 days of the event.

You or a dependent lose job-based coverage:

  • Letter from employer stating loss of coverage and reason(s) why. Good examples include:
  • Termination letter from employer or
  • Termination letter from previous health plan

You permanently move out of state and gain access to new plans:

If you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period because you moved within the last 60 days, you must submit documents that confirm both of these:

    1. You moved to a new primary residence within the last 60 days.

  • Acceptable documents include government correspondence, utility bills, rental or mortgage documents, and homeowner’s insurance. They must include your new address and date of the move.
  • Proof of residency (from both new and former address) such as a dated utility bill or
  • Apartment lease (both new and former address)


  1. You had health coverage at least one day during the 60 days before your move.
  • Acceptable documents include correspondence from your insurance company, employer, or health coverage provider, like a government agency.

You get marriedMarriage 5.23.19

  • Marriage certificate

You have a baby

  • Birth certificate or
  • Letter from a medical center showing proof of birth

You adopt a child (or other dependent)

  • Adoption papers

You get divorced (or legally separated from your spouse)Birth 5.23.19

  • Filed court papers

You gain US citizenship

  • Naturalization Certificate
  • Certificate of Citizenship

Your income changes significantly, making you newly eligible (or ineligible) for subsidies

  • Signed affidavit detailing your circumstances

You are or gain status as a Native American Indian

  • Proof of ancestry

Government enrollment error

  • Signed affidavit detailing your circumstances

Release from incarceration

  • Prison release papers

Once information is sent to People Services you will be provided with instructions for how to complete the “I have a qualifying life event” in UltiPro.

Please feel free to reach out to People Services with any questions.

Heather Wardrop

Heather Wardrop is a People Services Business Partner for CleanSlate, a leading national medical group that provides office-based outpatient medication treatment for the chronic disease of addiction, primarily alcohol and opioid use disorders.