HIPAA Reminders and Best Practices
Mar 18, 2020
Coronavirus HIPAA and Part 2 Reminders
Since the COVID-19 virus is causing more CleanSlate team members to work from home, we wanted to provide some best practices for always maintaining patient confidentiality regardless of where you are working. HIPPA and Part 2 related confidentiality provisions apply to employees of CSC whether their work is performed remotely or at the office. Fortunately, the confidentiality risks of working remotely can be dealt with by always taking the following steps:
- All CleanSlate-related business must be conducted on CleanSlate provided tools, such as Office 365 (Microsoft Outlook email, Teams, OneDrive), Ares, Stratus, and Warrior University. These tools are hosted on HIPAA compliant cloud-based software.
- Non-CleanSlate issued tools should not be used as they are not compliant. This includes, but is not limited to Gmail, Yahoo, Facebook and other social media platforms.
- If you are using personal devices to perform work duties, you must login to Zoom with your CleanSlate email only. This will assure all telemedicine is being performed in a HIPPA compliant manner.
- If you are currently working remotely outside of the office or clinic setting, it is best to work at your home rather than at coffee shops or other public places. In the event you will need to communicate verbally with a patient, never do so in a public place.
- If at home, always work in a room where you can work privately. No one else should be able to hear your conversations or see your computer screen while you are working.
- Always lock your computer screen when you leave your workstation, even for a short restroom break.
- Never allow friends, family or other household members to use any CleanSlate-provided equipment at your home, even after hours.
- Do not copy PHI or any work materials to any media not provided by CleanSlate. This includes hard drives and flash drives. Never take screen shots or other photos of work materials or any patient-related data.
- Never print or otherwise create paper copies of PHI or other work papers, including call Never download CleanSlate materials, including PHI, to your personal devices.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email email@example.com