COVID-19: Supporting At-Home Children
Resources for Parents
The COVID-19 pandemic has created challenges for families across the country. As more and more schools close, requiring school-age children to remain at home in an effort to promote self-distancing, parents are looking for ways to maintain their responsibilities while supporting the educational needs and development of those in their care. Many schools have provided distance-learning programs and resources to help students continue their education while at home. Parents are encouraged to check the information provided by local school districts to determine what steps should be taken to stay on top of their children?s education.
For those parents who are looking for extra information, activities, programs, and social-emotional learning (SEL) resources, we have prepared a list of programs and courses available from online sources. Some of these recommendations are paid programs for those parents looking to invest in more long-term support.
- Scholastic Learn At Home Program: An activity portal of free daily courses for kids: https://bit.ly/2vxRimy
- Mystery Science: Free science lessons for students in kindergarten to 5th grade: https://bit.ly/3d0vWiq
- Hippocampus.org: 7,000 free videos across 13 subject areas: https://hippocampus.org
- Mindfulness Resources for Teens: Techniques for developing the skills to be present and aware every day: https://bit.ly/3b6ibNg
- 15 Mindfulness and Relaxation Apps for Kids with Anxiety: Technological solutions that support addressing and overcoming stress and anxiety: https://bit.ly/3a1DSOK
- Emotional ABCs: Social-emotional learning resources and programs: https://bit.ly/39TYhFf
- GoNoodle: Movement and mindfulness videos created by child development experts: https://www.gonoodle.com
- 30 Emotional Health Activities: A month-long calendar of daily activities that’s free to download and use: https://bit.ly/3a1EfZE
- Online Museum Tours: Free virtual trips to famous artworks and artifacts from around the globe: https://bit.ly/3b29L9H
- Virtual Field Trips: Free videos and cams of animal habitats, famous locations, and unique areas: https://bit.ly/3b4XuS5
- Free Art Lessons: YouTube-based art classes starting on March 16: https://bit.ly/2IQtInY
- TED Talks: Educational discussions organized by topic of interest: https://bit.ly/33qPuYV
Thank you to our partner, Health Advocate for compiling this list of resources.